Thank you to everyone who has sent/fax/emailed letters on our behalf! We are incredibly grateful to you for doing this.
For those that did not know this - UNICEF is very much against international adoptions. Yes, you read the correctly. Four months ago they attempted to halt all adoptions in Guatemala and now they are refusing to back us on implementing a grandfather clause for all those who are in process. Needless to say, now we are going to begin contacting the corporations that give UNICEF money to let them know EXACTLY what is going on. More to follow on that once we have the contact information. Check back for details....
Below is how you can participate in the Guatemala 5000 Initiative. Make six simple phone calls and one email. Some of you have already begun doing this and for that we thank you GREATLY. Everyone is calling/faxing/emailing in the next 72 hours beginning tomorrow morning since today is a holiday (for some). This will maximize our push to get our point across.
Make six simple phone calls and one email.
1. Call your U.S. Senator.· You can find your Senators’ phone numbers at www.senate.gov· Ask to speak with the Legislative Director or Chief of Staff
2. Call your second U.S. Senator.
3. Call your representative to the U.S. House of Representative.· You can find your representative at www.house.gov· Ask to speak with the Legislative Director or Chief of Staff
4. Call or fax UNICEF Headquarters· Ask to speak with Ann Veneman, Executive Director· Their number is 212-326-7000· Their fax number is 212-326-7758
5. Call or fax UNICEF Guatemala· Ask to speak with Manuel Manrique· Their number is 011-502-2327-6373· Their fax number is 011-502-2327.6366 Please note that calls and faxes to Guatemala are international calls.
6. Send and email supporting Intercountry Adoption to email@example.com· Write briefly or at length· Joint Council will use the cumulative email petition in our advocacy for Intercountry Adoption